March 19, 2010

Le Jour du Macaron, Happy Birthdays & No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake

Well, I don’t really have the luxury to blog several times each week. The most I can go is two. Period. Thanks to my 8-hour workdays! Argh …! But, this post is a last-minute thing because I just realized March is a birthdays-packed month for me! So, I think I’ll keep the sequel to my Disney World story till the next post. Extremely sorry for this sudden change of plan!

Image courtesy of parisianevents.com

Before I get the birthday drumroll going, I had to tell you that I almost forgot this Saturday is le Jour du Macaron! Yes, March 20 has been named Macaron Day since 2006 by the Macaron Master Pierre Hermé. (For heaven’s sake, I don’t remember how many times I’ve said this to myself. But here I’m repeating, “I’d die to meet the Maestro in person at least once in my life!”) Though I’ve been unable to participate in the event myself, I do know that in Paris and in New York City beginning this year, macarons are offered to the public at an unusually lower price on this very day.

My home-made chocolate macarons, with mocha ganache -- my first successful attempt, dated January 2009

At the same time, the public is encouraged to spread the fun of munching on the SWEET macaron because proceeds will be put to use for a good cause. Hermé contributes the yield to the funding of research on rare illnesses each year. Initiated by another great pâtissier François Payard, the Big Apple will also contribute the proceeds to fighting against hunger and poverty. Hey, isn’t this nice!? A win-win situation! How I wish I can partake in the fundraiser! I just don’t understand why Kuala Lumpur hasn’t been hit by the macaron fever. Even our neighbor Singapore has long been cast under the spell of the macaron. *Tsk, tsk*

Actually, I was diagnosed with a very severe case of macaron fever for quite a few months in 2008 and 2009. (I’d not started blogging at that time. But, I’d upload all my photos and experiments onto my Flickr photostream – and am still doing so.) I knew it’s never easy to nail down the art and science of making macarons.

My home-made ginger macarons -- my second successful attempt, dated January 2009

But, armed with a never-say-die attitude, I kept trying and trying. After who-knows-how-many trials and errors, I was so delighted to get a batch of these almond meringue cookies with 90 percent of them looking decent! “They’ve got the feet!” I stomped and screamed with inexplicable joy and excitement – like a psycho – as I was checking the oven. “Can’t believe it!” Unlike my previous attempts, there was neither crackled top nor “uneven skirt.” It was one of those “eureka moments” I can’t ever forget. (I can name you all the funny features I’ve gotten out of those macs so far, but it’s going to take time. LOL!)

Dark chocolate pots de crème with chocolate macarons and fresh strawberries, dated April 2009

However, the macaron is a real finicky creature, like I said. After two successful batches, the stars haven’t been aligned for me in the kitchen – for anything macaron. Feeling stupefied (and after gaining weight) with all those “maca-flops,” I finally called it quit! And, it’s been close to a year since then.

My home-made chocolate macarons, with mocha ganache -- my first successful attempt, dated January 2009

The more I think I about it, the more I miss the macaron mojo I once had. The more I miss the macaron mojo, the more I crave for the macaron. I know it’s notoriously sweet, but I absolutely heart it. (What’s a girl to do when she has such a sweet tooth!) No matter how naughtier it may be, I’m longing for it, I’m dreaming about it. Behold, I think the Macaron Mojo has possessed me! *Crossing fingers* I hope I can relive those macaron days soon. *Sobbing*

OK, stop (all the nonsense and) the nostalgia! I’d like to send my birthday wishes to my beloved, and they are:

Lee Ping, my bestest friend for close to 10 years! Turned 23. (Girl, we’ve been through a lot together!) OK, I still owe her a full-course meal and a belated birthday dessert. Everything will come to life this July when she's back in Malaysia from Taiwan for the long summer school break. LOL! This is a picture of her (L) and her mom (R).

Becky Boe, also my bestest friend, turned 23 as well! (Taken with me, and photo by Gail, Becky's mom.)

Steve Williams, my American father who’ll be turning 60 real soon. Thanks for being my guardian angel in the past 3 years! Here's him unwrapping presents, with his family, at his birthday dinner last year. Doesn't he look like former U.S. president Abraham Lincoln? Hahaha ...!

Martha Johnson, my American sister, who just celebrated hers on Saint Paddy’s (March 17). She’s one of Steve’s four gorgeous daughters. (BUT, I can’t recall your age! Sorry! Oh, blame it on my poor memory!) Here's she and her boy Lars, photo taken when we first met in January 2007.

Unfortunately, I’ve not been baking cake lately. Probably because I’ve not been in a “cake mode!?” Nowadays, I tend to cook and bake for fun – but for the sake of utility, too. So, savory dishes, yeast bread, quick bread and cookies always top my list. Not cakes. (Thanks to my day job once again!) For Steve’s 59th birthday last year, I actually volunteered to bring no-bake Oreo cheesecake to the dinner. (Oh, yes! Those Oreo cookies I used for this cake were bought on my way back from the Disney World. So, I still can’t get away from Disney after all, huh?)

I adapted the recipe shared by Florence of Do What I Like. No-bake Oreo cheesecake has always been one of my faves. A simple cake with sweet little surprises! I wanted to let my family friends try it. Glad that it was the right decision because everyone loved it! One 9-inch (23 centimeters) cake disappeared right before me – in a snap! (Of course, I wouldn’t be surprised when there were 11 mouths to feed. Children loved it especially!)

In the event that you haven’t tried this cheesecake, it has this soft and creamy vanilla base that comes with oodles of Oreo pieces. It’s a good example of what a good cookie-and-cream dessert ought to be like. The dreamy vanilla and Oreo mousse-like delight is sandwiched in between an Oreo cookie crust and a pretty thick layer of crushed Oreos on top. Divine. Nom, nom. Steve, mind sharing the cake with us all? I promise I’ll make another birthday cake for you in the future – if I ever get to visit Bemidji again! But, I bet you don’t mind having the same cake again this year. Hahaha …!


Before signing off, here’s to wish, once again, a Happy (belated) Birthday to all the March babies! And, a Happy Macaron Day, too! See y’all till then! I’ll be fiddling around in the kitchen again this weekend with four Band-Aids all over my body! Hope the wounds can recover right before that – right before my weekend kitchen sessions! Can’t wait! And oh, yes! Enjoy the cake!

No-Bake Chilled Oreo Cheesecake (Adapted from Florence's, of Do What I Like)
[For one 18 cm-in-diameter cake]

(A)
110 g Oreo cookies, without the cream -- pulverized
*Florence uses digestive biscuits. You may also use graham crackers since both these cookies are pretty similar in flavor and texture.*
**I threw all the cookies into a Ziploc bag, sealed the bag (not too tightly of course) and started crushing them with my hands and with help from my rolling pin. You can also process them in a food processor, as wished.**
40 g butter -- melted and then let cooled slightly
*Both salted and unsalted ones work here.*

(B)
3 Tbsp boiling water
10 mL fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp powdered gelatine

(C)
250 g cream cheese, softened
45 mL milk
50 g powdered sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract or rum
*I used vanilla extract.*

250 mL cold heavy cream -- whipped until it looks mousse-like, NOT until stiff peak stage, then send it to keep chilled in the fridge until ready to use
12 pcs Oreo cookies, without the cream -- broken into coarse pieces
*I was very generous with these, I used more than 12 pieces. It's a matter of preference, really.*
Enough Oreo cookies, without the cream, for topping -- pulverized (optional, but highly recommended)
**I threw all the cookies into a Ziploc bag, sealed the bag (not too tightly of course) and started crushing them with my hands and with help from my rolling pin. You can also process them in a food processor, as wished.**
Enough Oreo cookies, without the cream (optional)
*Don't crush them up, just leave them the way they're -- intact!*
  1. If you're particular and worry about scratching your cake tin, just like me, do this: Take one 18-cm springform pan and detach its cake ring from the base. Line the base with aluminum foil; attach and lock the ring back to the lined base. Set aside
    *My springform pan is a nonstick one.*
  2. Thoroughly combine (A) together, then press this mixture onto the bottom of the prepared cake tin firmly to get an even layer. Then, send it to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes whilst you proceed with the following steps
  3. Place (B) in a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl that's been set over a pot of simmering water, slowly dissolve gelatine completely with the liquids. Once dissolved, keep the mixture warm aside till ready to use (so that the gelatine won't set the whole deal!)
  4. Cream (C) together till smooth and creamy, then blend in the gelatine solution. Next, fold the cold semi-whipped cream into the batter to just incorporate them together
  5. Start first with a little bit of the cheese batter by pouring it over the chilled Oreo cookie crust -- just enough to cover the crust. Now, alternate your movements between pouring the batter onto the crust and scattering the rough Oreo pieces all over. Do this till both the batter and rough cookie pieces have been used up.
  6. Send the whole deal to chill in the fridge till the cake is completely set, for about 3~4 hours.
  7. Right before serving, and if desired, scatter the remaining pulverized Oreo cookies all over the top of the set and chilled cake.
    Then, wrap around the outside of the cake ring with a warm, dampened cloth/kitchen towel/etc. Hold it this way for a few seconds (... should be under 1 minute.) This is to ensure easy removal of the cake from the springform pan.
    Now, unmold the cake. Stick some of the whole Oreo pieces onto and around the sides of the set cheesecake for higher aesthetic value, if desired. *Chuckling*
  8. Slice and serve the cake chilled.
    *This is a trick I learned from Happy Homebaker. To get clean slices of the cheesecake, run a sharp knife (that you're going to use for slicing the cake) in tepid water to warm it up. Then, wipe it dry. Now, use it to slice the cheesecake. Repeat this particular step as necessary whilst slicing the cake -- do this whenever the cake starts to stick to the knife. This is applicable to all chilled cheesecakes.*

50 comments:

Keren Ruth said...

I really like the picture of Martha and Lars. What a cute baby :) And that was a yummy Oreo cake.

Anonymous said...

Hello to you dear Pei-Lin. Your post was fun. Love, Bonnie

Su-yin said...

Beautiful macarons! And look at those feet. :D

Kitchen Corner said...

WOW!! You make nice macaron!! I still don't know how to make it. Your oreo cheesecake is so tempting!

Jo said...

What a great story and I loved reading every word of it. BTW are you still having a macaron "hangover"?

Anncoo said...

Oh..Pei-Lin, Love your post, love your pictures!

zenchef said...

Mmm.. I'm a march baby too! :)

Thanks for reminding me of "Le jour du Macaron". I received the memo and forgot about it. hehe. You can be sure i'll be touring nyc's bakeries for my free macarons.

Now hand over a slice of that oreo cheesecake. You made me hungry. :)

Quinn said...

Pei-Lin, since it's Mac Day this sat, can I take the opportunity for to thank you for the Mac guide through MSN the other day. I've bough grinder specifically for this and will make them very soon, prob not before Mac Day, I'm very mood dependent!

And totally agree on practicability, we are both lovers of breads and buns rather than cakes and heavy dessert, though we do love panna cotta but not so much of creme brulee, you get the idea.

Have a great week ahead and will still update you bout my Macs if they fail and are too hideous to make its way to my blog, muah! Try to love work, time will fly faster that way! It's Friday already, what do we know!

Cheryl said...

Ah, I was lucky enough to have someone make this before for me. Oh yes it was delicious!

Memória said...

What a cute post!! I'm glad your U.S. family has been treating you so well. Happy belated birthday!!

This cake looks fantastic. I love how you decorated it.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hey Pei-Lin!
I was gonna post my No-Bake Oreo cheesecake too! What coincidence! ;) But I am still here in California now, busy with my stuff...so still deferring it to...don't know when. :P Yours definitely looks better then mine though. :)

faithy, the baker said...

i tot you baked macarons till i saw the date! :) You should move your butt and bake some macarons! It's been about my dear! ;) Nonetheless, your oreo cheese cake looks to-die-for & yummy! :)

zurin said...

U make gorgeous macaroons and a yummy oreo cake!! wow....!!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

The macarons are so gorgeous!! And that cake ... oh my goodness. Pei-Lin, say you saved a slice for me. You did, right? Oh yes, about slicing the cheesecake, I actually saw the chef at Grand Hyatt do that. If you want your whole cake sliced, you have to be prepared to wait 30mins. The price of perfection, I guess. :) Great post and have a good weekend!

martha said...

Thank you for the sweet birthday wish. I think an oreo cheese cake would probably be a perfect birthday cake. :)

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

your macaron look not bad wor!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What splendid macarons! They are perfect. And the oreo cheesecake as well as the pots de crème look so yummy! Lovely!

Cheers,

Rosa

noobcook said...

your macarons look jaw-dropping fabulous. really pro! hope you start making them again and share your recipes with us. That cheesecake looks great too :)

Angie's Recipes said...

You have baked some perfect macarons! No-baked cheesecake would be so lovely for the coming holiday!

Elin said...

Pei Lin..you are good in everything..you can bake, you can write and you can shoot well...hahaha we know you are busy with work but do try to blog more so that we are in touch...take care PeiLin and all the best in your work. Love you and have a great day.

qinyi said...

Macaron day? First time i've heard of it! Anyways, Happy Macaron Day! I have a bag of macaron dry ingredients all measured out and sitting in the cupboard, cos the whites I whipped the other day didn't turn out too well so I didn't even bother mixing the dry ingredients in it. Shall bake macarons again when I'm free. Currently I'm attached to the A&E department and the shifts are long and crazy! We have to work weekends and nights as well.

Your oreo cheesecake looks scrumptious too! I've just volunteered to make it for the next birthday party! :)

petite nyonya said...

Your post is so much fun to read, as always! The macarons, mousse and cheesecake look great!! I haven't been baking that much recently. :( Dying to do something soon :)

Gertrude said...

I tried baking them a few times and it was not easy to get it right. Seeing your pretty macarons I wanted to make some again :) That is one luscious looking cheesecake.

quizzine said...

Tks for the cake...kekeke... i'm a march baby!! Who can reject a oreo cheesecake ;-)

catty said...

Hey, I just stumbled upon your blog through Breadetbutter and wanted to say hi cos my Chinese name is also Pei Lin :) and HAPPY MACARON DAY!!! Your macs look fricking amazing, I haven't had the guts to try making macs yet and the no bake oreo cheesecake sounds like a dream, I think I have to give it a go ;)

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) said...

Pei-Lin, this is one of the best cheesecake I have seen. Looks like a giant oreo cookies but better!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@Keren: Hey, buddy! I know, I love that pic of Martha & Lars, too! That was why I decided to publish it. I know they wouldn't mind! Ha! Glad you guys liked the cheesecake! Those good old days ... Hahaha ...! You're making me feel nostalgic again ... =(

@Bonnie: Hello, mom! So happy that you all enjoyed the cake last year! Thanks a lot for taking the time to read. I know it's time-consuming to read my ramblings ... Hahaha ...! I love you all back in Bemidji, too! Miss you!

@Su-yin: Thank you for the feedback! I miss those feet, too! I miss macarons! I miss the mac mojo I once had! =(

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@Grace: You've made my week! But that was eon back then. *Sigh* Macarons can be good and can be bad to you ... Very temperamental creatures indeed. =S

@Jo: Aww ... THANK YOU!! This is so touching ... You've made my whole week ... THANK YOU! Erm ... I suppose I'm still having macaron hangover. LOL!

@Anncoo: Thank you! THANK YOU! You have made my week, too! I'm so gonna cry ...

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@Zen: A Happy Belated Birthday to you! So, the Oreo cheesecake is for you, too! Glad to hear that your macaron hunt around NYC turned out to be fruitful! Boy, I'm still so, so intrigued by Ispahan ... Hmm ...

@Quinn: Like I said, from I saw in your post, it was considered excellent for a maiden attempt! Forget about those harsh comments that some simply threw at you! Keep it up, K? I think I'm gonna see a second, third, fourth, ...

@Cheryl: Hehe ... I know, I know! Your baby bro made the cheesecake for you! Lucky gal! And, thanks a million for dropping by! I gotta visit with ya someday ... Now, too busy ... =( ... Sleep-deprived.

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@Memoria: Firstly, thank you for visiting! Thank you for the feedback, too! Thrilled to hear from you! Yea, I know how lucky I was to have such loving families in both Malaysia and the U.S. Thanks for the wishes, and they're gonna be sent to all the March babies!

@Bee Bee: Hey, how are things up in the Sunny State? Miss my days there ... Can't wait for your post on your Oreo cheesecake! I'm sure yours looks just as good -- or better still, more gorgeous than mine! Take care till then! Hope to hear from ya soon on your blog! =)

@Faithy: Yo, macaron master! I do hope I can re-enact those scenes again whereby you could find me screaming and yelling and stomping like a psycho while watching those macs growing "feet" in the oven! Thanks for the encouragement! You've made my day! Ha! =)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@zurin: Terima kasih! You've made my day! Hope to see more from you soon! Keep us all updated! Love.

@Ju: As always, thanks a million for the encouraging words! How I wish you could have had some of the cake! Hope you had a fabulous weekend, too! I know, that's the price to pay as a perfectionist. LOL!

@martha: Hello from Malaysia! How are things in North Carolina? Hope all is well. I wish you and the kids could have had some the Oreo cheesecake at Steve's birthday dinner last year ... The Cobbs and the Williams all loved it! Think Jake was there, too ... Not sure about the Mathews though ... Don't quite remember ... Hmm ... Poor memory again ...

Cheah said...

The Oreo cake looks so delicious, wish I can steal a bite too!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@Sonia: Thank you for feedback. You're a better macaron baker than I'm leh ... Your birthday gateau just blew me away! Woot!

@Rosa: Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. Have a great one! =D

@noobcook: Merci boucoup! You've made my day! If only I could relive those macarons-crazed days ... Hmm ... I'm sure it ain't hard to make the cheesecake though ... Hahaha ...!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@Angie: Thanks to ya, too!! You mean cheesecake for Passover!? Hey, ain't a bad idea after all! ;)

@Elin: Again, I really dunno what to say this time around but A BIG THANK YOU HERE! You guys have just made my day! T_T ... Thanks for the encouraging words! It holds safe and dear in my heart. =) I'm gonna better myself!

@Qin Yi: Happy Belated Macaron Day to you, too! Oh, sorry to hear that! Think we both are having the same situation: too busy! Argh! Well, I really hope you whip up nice little macs very soon! Email me those pics of your macs! Oh, do let me know how the cake turns out after the birthday party! ;) Miss you, kawan!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@Joslynn: I really appreciate the encouraging words you've been bestowing upon me! I learn as I go along, too ... I hope you can find the time to whip up some dishes in your kitchen! Bet it's gonna be good as always! OK, awaiting your next post! Take care till then! Love.

@Gertrude: Thank you for the kind words! I know how finicky these macarons can be! That's why ... there goes my long-lost macaron mojo ... Hope you can try your hands on them again real soon ... Don't end up like Pei-Lin! =X

@quizzine: Oh, the cake is also dedicated to you, too! Happy Belated Birthday!!

Swee San said...

Hi Pei-Lin, good job in the macarons :) I would want to meet or even better work for Pierre Herme too !!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@Catty, a.k.a. Pei Lin: Hello, Pei Lin! *Chuckling* Sounds oddly funny to call my (your) name twice ... LOL! You're the third Pei Lin I've seen in the blogosphere, the other is in Singapore! Oh, well! Those macs are real temperamental! Hmm ... Cheesecake will sure satisfy everyone's sweets cravings ... Yea, let's go with the cheesecake. ;)

@Ellie: LOL! Never even thought of that! Giant Oreo! Hahaha ...! You've cracked me up! Thanks for the lovely words! You have a great one!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, guys! Didn't mean to get back to y'all this late! But what's a girl to do with a damn hectic schedule! =( ... You've made my week nonetheless! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a few lines here! ;)

@Cheah: Thanks for coming by! How I wish you could have had a few slices of the cake, too!

@Swee San: Thanks for the encouraging words, buddy! You make macarons? Can learn a little from you, hehehe ... Isn't Pierre Herme talented? That man is just filled with creative ideas for pastries! LOL! Good craftsman, too!

Xiao Yen Recipes said...

Your chocolate macarons look simply delish. I'd love to try to make them from scratch.

My kids would love the oreo cheesecake, they love oreos so much. I'd surprise them with this treat.

Justin said...

i love the look of that cheesecake

Rose Belle said...

Oh wow, I've never had macarons but they sure look so yummy! I love chocolate so naturally anything chocolaty will catch my eyes right away.

I bought an oreo ice cream cake the past week for dessert. Hmm..your oreo cheesecake looks so simple to make, I'd love to give it shot.

Food For Tots said...

This is also a birthday packed month for me too. I have 9 close relatives celebrating their birthdays in this month (including myself and my son) and not to mention my friends and ex-colleagues. Your no-bake orea cheesecake looks very tempting! I love your macaron too! ;)

tigerfish said...

Maracon fever! The only fever worth getting! So infectious that no antibiotics can cure it...kekeke

Those ginger macarons look like kaya macarons ;p

Kitchen Butterfly said...

That cheesecake rules.......and I'm so with you about the fickle nature of Macs. A few weeks ago, I was annoyed and just hastily threw macs together - my digital scale was kapot and I used a measuring jug. The macs came out a treat...........love the cheesecake, again!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, y'all for a late reply! Been busy ... =( ... But, thanks a million for dropping by! Your words have lifted me up!

@Xiao Yen: Hey, macarons are such finicky creatures! But glad you put up with courage and have decided to give them a try! Do update us on your experiments with macs! Oh, try that Oreo cheesecake recipe! It's satisfying and yet not cloying!

@Justin: Hello from Malaysia! Thanks for the encouraging words! Take care! Enjoy the most of spring with local fresh produce rolling in at farmers' markets! NYC, a place with endless possibilities! Would love to visit there sometime!

@Rose Belle: Thanks for visiting here! Your words have cheered me up! Well, if you have a super-sweet tooth, I'm sure you're gonna like macarons. Hmm ... Oreo ice-cream cake, never thought of that! Thanks for sharing! Hey, do let me know once you've given this Oreo cheesecake recipe a try because it's that good! ;)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Sorry, y'all for a late reply! Been busy ... =( ... But, thanks a million for dropping by! Your words have lifted me up!

@Lai Kwan: Hey! What a coincidence! Happy Belated Birthday to you & your boy then! Hope you had a fabulous Easter weekend!

@tigerfish: Hello! Hahaha ...! You've cracked me up big-time! Ginger macs that look like kaya macs! Never even thought of that!

@Kitchen Butterfly: Oh, can empathize with you on that! I have an on-and-off, love-hate relationship with macs. Glad that we can still at least turn flopped macs into some other kinds of treat e.g. as part of verrine! Think of the endless possibilities! Aren't cheesecakes good ... Mmm ...

Itscheese said...

Wow, your food looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing, and for the great pics.

Anonymous said...

heylo! great cheesecake recipe! but i would like to ask, how do i convert the ingredients accordingly if im using a 26 cm springform instead? thanks!:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pei Lin, it's great to see those macarons experiments you did! I, myself am looking to where we can actually buy (coz I don't bake! ;p) macarons in KL at a reasonable price. Nonetheless, my first tasting was at The Tea Republic and thereafter I was searching all over at other possible eatery and cafes which may have macarons. ;p

Pei-Lin said...

Hi, Anonymous. Thank you for popping by and saying hi. =)

Haha! I know. Honestly speaking, Malaysia has never quite caught up on the macaron fever, especially when compared to other countries like Singapore. I don't think most locals can EVEN accept the macaron as it may be too sweet for the Malaysian palate. I've not tried bakery-bought macs. Been eating homemade ones. =P

Nah. Macarons are so expensive because of the labor and time spent to make them. No machine-churned. Sorry to sound shallow, but where's Tea Republic? *LOL* A place in KL? I sound ignorant. Haha!

Well, if you REALLY are craving for macs, perhaps you can let me know here? I dunno ... If I can spare some time to make them ... I can try sell you some ...

Macarons ARE GOOD!

Related Posts with Thumbnails