July 23, 2010

A Little Thank-You Note and Tangzhong Cinnamon Bread 一些感言與湯種肉桂麵包


This week, the muse must have left me for a vacation elsewhere. Been having a mental block, I think. Worse comes worst, I woke up with a swollen pink eye yesterday morning; therefore, I’ve been on a medical leave. However, I can’t guarantee you of a short post. I’ll try to keep it concisely short as I should not be staring at the computer screen for too long anyway.

This would be an opportunity for me to thank some of my blogger friends – since I’m pretty wordless. I’ve been delaying these for who-knows-how-long. I’m a slow blogger, as always. Hope you aren’t annoyed. Haha!

Two months ago, Edith of Precious Moments rendered me the Sunshine Award. I could never seem to squeeze in some space to officially acknowledge my receipt of the Award because the usual Pei-Lin always has something to ramble about, except these few days. Recently, Jess of Bakericious handed me two more awards: the Stylish Blogger Award and A Blog With Substance Award. Now, I’ve got three in total to acknowledge. Man, it’s time:
Dearest Edith and Jess,
Thank you so much for the e-plaques! I’m honored to be one of the Award recipients! I’m glad that you think of me and take me as a friend – not just a friend – but a friend who also shares your passion for baking, cooking and blogging.

(Did I make this sound like a thank-you speech or what? Haha!)

But, I’ve decided not to tag along because I noticed that these Awards have been spreading like wildfire in the Food Blogosphere. I do feel pleased and honored for such an acknowledgment received, though. Instead of sharing the joy with only a few other fellow bloggers, I’d like to share the Awards with all of you: my fellow bloggers, readers, visitors, bakers, cooks, as well as food photographers and stylists. (I know I’m not qualified to be called a food photographer and stylist, as of now.)

For the most part, it is the encouraging words from you that keep me going. I feel tired out by other commitment in life; I once thought of giving up blogging as I couldn’t seem to cope with it. Gradually, I’m back on track again – because of the encouraging words received and sincerity I’ve been sensing from you guys. Thank you!

Anyway, to fill in the gap, here are 10 of the many things in life that make Pei-Lin grin. On the other hand, here are 10 random and REALLY boring trivial things about me:

  • I almost always give others the impression that I’m Chinese-illiterate. Among the Malaysian-Chinese, the derogatory terms “banana (香蕉人)” and “ABC” are used to refer to Chinese who can’t understand Chinese (中文). I’m neither one of those, and I hate being stereotyped that way. In fact, right from my kindergarten to senior high school years, I was educated in Chinese.
  • I can speak, read and write, in the order of my proficiency level, in English and Chinese (Cantonese 廣府話 and Mandarin 普通話, Malaysian Mandarin to be exact *LOL*), as well as Bahasa Malaysia (B.M.). My written English is better than my spoken one, I think. (Due to the slower response I give when I talk!?) To all fellow Malaysians: I know there is nothing to brag about. Almost everyone here can speak these three languages. When compared to you guys, my B.M. sucks, big-time. Haha!
  • I'm an indecisive shopper. Let's say I want to purchase two bags of good-quality imported chocolate chips. I'll first grab what I want, then in a few minutes' time, I'll return to the same spot to place the bags of morsels at where they belong. Throughout my stay at the store, I can repeat the above for three to four times till I've finally made up my mind. Do bear in mind I'm also having the same dilemma with a few other items on my shopping list. That's why I always shop alone because I can drive the people around me crazy. *LOL*
  • One of my wildest dreams is to save up enough money so that I can go backpack traveling in France and conquer (all) the local pâtisseries and boulangeries. (Thanks to the book “Paris Sweets!”)
  • Another one of my wildest dreams is to save up money and have a few months of retreat at Le Cordon Bleu, which also happens to be part of my retirement plan. That means, I’ll be a 60-year-old pastry school student by then!? Haha! (I know we change as we age. Hope that I won’t lose my passion for culinary art as time passes.)
  • I don’t like to be passively entertained as I feel that my time can be put to better use by doing something else; therefore, I hardly go for a karaoke session, watch television and go for a movie (unless the show is a good one like "Julie & Julia").  However, I don’t mind watching culinary programs.
  • I hope to be a freelance food writer (note: NOT food critic), food photographer and stylist someday.
  • I’m not a fussy eater. Nonetheless, there are a few items that I won’t want to consume: petai, "stinky tofu" (臭豆腐), instant noodles, fresh Chinese-style "yellow noodles" (鹼水麵), soft drink and flavored beverages, "commercialized" fast food, alcohol and candy. (I do use alcohol in my cooking and baking though.)
  • I write better than I talk. That’s why I prefer writing to express myself. Probably, I’m more of an introvert. The thing with me is when I find that I can click with that person I’m talking to, I can keep the ball rolling with ease. But when I feel there’s a lack of chemistry, I find it VERY challenging for me to carry on – because I don’t know what else to talk about!?
  • Oh! One more thing about me is when I'm given bread and rice, I’ll pick bread. Whole-wheat one preferably. Why? Because I can eat this much food in this little time. Since I make my own bread, I might as well just eat it. I don’t mind having rice. But, I can only take this much food at a time; hence, the compromise.

I love cinnamon rolls and cinnamon swirl loaf. I only came to appreciate the sweet bread during my 3-year stay in the States. (Because none of my family members fancies herbs and spices!? I’m the black sheep at home, I love herbs and spices. The more pungent, the better. In fact, many Chinese I’ve come to know of don’t really care about spices. Perhaps, spices are too intense for them. My observation can be erroneous though.)


As opposed to Asian bakeries, American bakeries offer less variety of (fancy) sweet rolls. Sticky pecan rolls and cinnamon rolls are the ones I can think of, for now. I love the warm and woody scent of cinnamon. Sweeten things up and marry the spice with rum-soaked raisins and toasted walnuts gives the otherwise plain-looking bread a new depth of life.


It’s been over 2.5 years since I started making bread. One of the first breads I baked was no other than the cinnamon roll. As time goes, I’ve switched from making plain white ones to whole-wheat ones. (I don’t mind white bread occasionally. But, I do try to avoid it whenever possible.) As usual, Pei-Lin tweaked recipe, again.

When I made these cinnamon rolls and loaves (back in February this year), I replaced the basic sweet white bread recipe with my favorite whole-wheat bread recipe. (I doubled the recipe, too, for my breakfasts and lunch that whole week at work. I froze the extra. Till now, I'm still not sick of it.) Of course, when compared to the plain white ones, mine turned out to be denser and less fluffy. Mine had that something (fibrous) for you to chew on. (It’s whole wheat. Duh!)

I used the tangzhong method (湯種法) for these spicy sweet rolls. (My favorite way of making bread, hands down. Read more about the method here, here and here.) I’m well aware that not everyone likes this whole-wheat bread idea. So, here’s the original recipe for you to refer to. In the meantime, I’ve also included the changes I made alongside. Remember, bread making is a live science. Once you’ve mastered the principles and theories behind, you can run free with your creativity and imagination! Don't forget that practice makes perfect.


Cinnamon Rolls and Cinnamon Swirl Loaf 肉桂麵包與肉桂吐司
Adapted from "Bread Doctor," by Yvonne Chen 摘自《65°C湯種麵包》。陳郁芬 著

* The instruction below is meant for manual kneading of the bread dough. I've never kneaded my bread dough with a bread machine or sturdy stand mixer. So, please adapt the following accordingly. *

For whole-wheat bread base, refer to the recipe here

For white bread base:

(A)
210 g plain bread flour
56 g plain cake flour
20 g milk powder/dry milk
42 g caster/granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt

6 g instant dry yeast

(B)
30 g whole egg -- at room temperature and slightly beaten
85 g water -- at room temperature will do
84 g tangzhong (湯種) -- at room temperature

22 g unsalted butter -- cubed and chilled

For the filling:
* Kindly adjust the quantity stated for the ingredients for the filling to your liking. Some people like it extra-spicy while some don't. Some like more raisins and/or walnuts while others don't. *

(C)
5 g (1 heaped Tbsp) ground cinnamon
20 g caster/granulated sugar

50 g rum-soaked raisins
* Soak the raisins in enough rum for 2 hours. Once soaked, drain them. I reserved the rum for brushing on the bread later on. *
50 g toasted walnuts -- coarsely chopped
* Toast the walnuts at 150°C for 13~15 minutes; remove from the oven and let cool completely before using. *

For the simple glaze:
* Optional, though, as I think the bread is good enough without the glaze. *

(D)
70 g powdered sugar -- or quantity to be adjusted as necessary
1 Tbsp room-temperature water/cold milk -- or quantity to be adjusted as necessary
A few drops of vanilla extract -- optional


  1. Combine (A) together in a large mixing bowl, then scatter the yeast all over the flour mixture and mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients.
  2. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in (B); mix everything together with a large, sturdy wooden spoon till the mixture has come together. Continue mixing till a dough has formed and starts to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
  3. Turn the dough out onto the counter and keep kneading it till gluten has developed. Now, knead the cold cubed butter into the dough to incorporate. Once the butter has been incorporated, keep kneading the dough till it's reached the windowpane stage.
  4. Round the dough up; gather up and pinch the seams to seal well. Place the dough into a large oiled mixing bowl and cover with a sheet of cling wrap, then set aside to proof till it's has doubled in size.
    * Nowadays, I usually place the dough on a lightly floured counter and invert my large mixing bowl to cover the dough to let it proof. That's just me being plain lazy. Haha! *
  5. Once the dough has doubled in size, deflate the dough and knead briefly to get rid of the gas trapped within. To know whether it's doubled in size, do the "poking test": dip your finger in some bread or plain flour and gently, slowly poke your finger into the dough -- of course, don't puncture it! If an indentation remains at where you poked your finger in, this means proofing is sufficient; otherwise, if that spot bounces back, let it proof further till the dough has doubled in size.

  6. For cinnamon rolls:

    * The following is how I shaped mine, which is way different than the author of the book. *

    On a lightly floured counter, with a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a 1 inch-thick rectangle. (You decide how long, how wide the rectangle should be.) Now, brush the surface with the rum reserved from soaking raisins -- leaving about 1" space, lengthwise, untouched, along the topmost part the rectangle. With your hand, slightly press down on this 1" "reserved" space to make it thinner than the remaining part of the dough.
    Combine (C) together and scatter the cinnamon sugar evenly over the rum-moistened surface of the dough. Then, scatter the walnuts and raisins evenly over the cinnamon-sugared surface of the dough.
    Roll up the rectangular dough tightly, lengthwise, from bottom up (i.e. like for a Swiss roll). Seal the dough up by pinching the seams tightly. (That's why you have to purposely leave 1" space "untainted" while you brush and fill the dough.)
    With a sharp thin-bladed knife, slice to divide the dough up into (smaller) equal sections, i.e. by 5~7 centimeters each. As you slice the dough, move the knife in only one direction -- NOT in a sawing motion; otherwise, you may risk destroying the gluten network formed within.
    Place the sliced-up dough on greased/parchment-lined baking sheet(s), spacing apart to allow room for expansion. If you want pull-apart cinnabons, use greased/parchment-lined baking pan(s) instead and place the sliced-up dough closer to each other.

    For cinnamon swirl loaf:
    Grease a 6"(L) x 3"(W) x 3"(H) Pullman loaf pan; set aside for use later. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a 7"x5" rectangle. Brush the surface with rum reserved from soaking raisins -- leaving 1.5"~2" space "untouched" along the left, right and topmost area of the dough's surface. Now, scatter the cinnamon sugar evenly over the rum-moistened part of the dough and then followed by the raisins and walnuts. Tightly roll the dough from bottom up (i.e. like for a Swiss roll). Pinch the seams tightly to seal the dough, then press both ends of the dough tightly to seal the dough too. Fold both ends over so that they're now tucked underneath the "log"; place the whole deal into the prepared loaf pan.

    * I made mine in a way bigger Pullman loaf pan, with the lid on, and of course, with even more dough. The above instruction is solely for reference. Please adapt to the situation accordingly. When it comes to the shaping of bread and buns, I eyeball most of the time. *

  7. Cover with cling wrap and set aside to proof till almost doubled in size.
  8. For rolls: bake at 160°C for 15~17 minutes or till the rolls look golden and cooked through.
    For loaf: bake at 160°C for 25~30 minutes or till the loaf looks golden and cooked through. Give the top of the loaf a gentle tap -- if the tap sounds "hollow," that means the loaf is done.
  9. Remove the bread from the oven and transfer them onto cooling rack(s) to let cool completely.
  10. If what you've made are cinnamon rolls, you may need the glaze. Combine (D) together till the mixture becomes smooth and has reached a desired consistency. Too thin? Add more powdered sugar. Too thick? Add more water/milk.
    Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cinnabons, then put the rolls aside to set the glaze before serving.

34 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Pei Lin,
Hope you are feeling better now. Ooh, I didn't know we have so much in common! Besides pointers 1, 2, 6 & 7, I found that we seems to be have so much in common. Actually for #1, I'm quite the opposite to you. Everyone thinks that I can speak mandarin pretty okay, however, they didn't know that I failed my A level Chinese three times!!
Oh yes, give me bread anytime, and I'll be a happy and contented woman for the rest of the day!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Hey, Jane!

I do hope you're feeling better, too! See, both of us fell ill at the same time! We already have one commonality here. LOL!

Actually, age doesn't matter. From my POV, so long as we click, that we share so many things in common, there ... this is where friendship begins. My parents still can't believe me that I can make like-minded friends online. They keep telling me, "Eh, don't easily trust strangers lah!" LOL! Aiya, dunno lar ... Come what may, I still believe in the thing called yuanfen.

You wanna be an old LCB student, too!!?? I thought I was the only odd one! LOL!

Erm ... Honestly, I'm one of those Chinese-educated. Hadn't I put serious efforts into learning my English beginning age 14, I think I'll still be conversing with the world in "broken English." Get what I mean? OK lah, Malaysian English and Singlish are somewhat similar lar ... except I don't understand Hokkien lor! LOL! No worries, so long as we don't just speak one language, we're good enough. LOL! Good, good. You are a bread person, too. But I doubt you can live without rice for even a day, eh? =P

Passionate About Baking said...

Ah Pei-Lin, you're wrong. I'm totally not a rice person. Though sometimes, I do love rice. The only rice which I like now, is brown rice, or mixed rice, but not white rice. I can live without rice for a week, a month...but not without bread for a week! :P I live on noodles too!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

ROTFL! Beware: Soon, there will be a female terrorist invading the Red Dot soon -- all the way from KL. LOL! I'm evil, you know ...

Actually, like I said, I'm not a fussy eater. I take bread, rice and noodle/pasta. However, I only eat brown rice -- not even a mix of brown and white ones. Whole-wheat pasta, brown rice vermicelli are on my list too. Even flours, if possible, whole wheat/wholegrains and organic. Of course, I know no way we can do these to certain bakes. So, there comes the compromise. Time for some waistline expansion! LOL!

Too bad, I can only take this much food in this little time. I just wish I was born with GREATER metabolism ... No matter how much, what type of food I take, I'll stay skinny. Unfortunately, I "prosper" VERY easily. LOL!

Bakertan said...

Hey Pei-Lin,

Hope your swollen eye is better. Try not to rub it.

Congrats on the awards! So kind of you to share with everyone. I think you are not too shabby as a food photographer and stylist. Dont worry, you'll improve as you get along. Someday, my photography will improve too (I hope..).

The blogging community needs a sunshine blogger with style and substance like you! So you better not run away... lol..

Regarding the 10 tidbits about you, I like point no 4. Hope I can go there before the age of 60, haha.

I have'nt tried eating cinnamon rolls. Would'nt mind having some. I admit I have'nt really read through your instructions on making the rolls and bread since its super lengthy and I am not into making bread at the moment. but i think its really detailed. kudos to your effort!

cheers and take care =]

noobcook said...

your bakes look professionally made, when are you opening your own bakery? :) I think your photography and writing is good, I'm sure you will attain your goal of becoming freelance food writer ^^

Angie's Recipes said...

You still sit in front of the computer with the swollen eyes? wow..that's what I call "passion" for blogging.
I adore these soft loaf...best for the breakfast.
Get well soon!
Angie

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Pei-Lin, hope your pink swollen eye is better now. Take care yah? But you should try to rest more instead of staring into the screen and writing such a long post! ( not that I am complaining, always enjoy reading them) Cinnamon buns are like a classic treat in America, sladder with a generous amount of icing on top. It's great that you made a much healthier version and also using tang zhong method, sure very soft! Think I will make some too, soon, thanks for the inspiration and see you soon my friend, take care!

Happy Homebaker said...

What a coincident! I made cinnamon rolls just a couple of days ago! I used the same tangzhong method, finally! Now I am harvesting a wicked idea...can I simply copy and paste all your instructions to my post, hehe ;) I actually read thru your earlier blog post on making the tangzhong before I made the cinnamon rolls. You have given me the much needed confidence. Thanks so much for taking the time to write down such detailed instructions...I know how much effort it is, I would need days to come up with so much info.
btw, I sent you an email last week, not sure whether you got it? Nothing important, just want to thank you for your encouragement and support for the last couple of years :)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Haha, Peilin, let's face it - you are not capable of short and sweet passages - it is just not you! I used to write lengthy reports and emails for work - until my French boss at that time told me not to worry about it - I just wasn't busy enough, he said. When I get a thousand things on my plate, I will get used to one-liners. Quite true, my emails are very short and to the point these days but these can sometimes come across being terse and abrupt even when it wasn't meant to... Get well soon!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Dear dear Pei-Lin, you're adorable. I'll never tire of your amusing, personal posts, and your wonderful creations on a plate. I am ashamed to say that I can't speak or write chinese beyond Pri 4 level. That's when I stopped coaching my daughter and hired a tutor. Horrendous, huh? Considering I was a Chinese stream student all my school life. I still don't know how I passed all my Chinese exams!

Small Small Baker said...

Hi Pei Lin, I hope you have recovered. I have always wanted to try your tangzhong method. Hope to do it one day after digesting all your detailed instructions. Thanks for sharing your passion in baking and hope your dreams can come true! No need to wait until 60. :)

The Urban Baker said...

my dad loved a really good sticky bun/cinnamon roll. my kids and I celebrate his special days with a breakfast of this gooey goodness. yours look delicious!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

@ZY: Thank you for the advice. I think I just rubbed it ... once. Oops! *LOL* Double whammy, man ... Now, toothache. *Sob* Anyway, thanks a million for the encouragement! Actually, looking back at your earlier posts, your shots have improved tremendously! I have faith in you, so should you. Erm ..., I do hope I can report to that place before 60. But then, I'm fiscally independent pretty much now. So, need to give myself years to realize that. *LOL* Well, of course you can make it there. I always believe that if one's TRULY determined to do so, the once-a-dream will be realized because the person will try his/her best to achieve it. Up till now, I still believe it's best to rely on oneself and fight for oneself. We can't build castles in the air, right? (Though I love daydreaming. Haha!) Oh, so you like cinnamon! Many people here don't, unfortunately. Well, the recipe is for people who'd like to give the bread a shot. No harm doing that ... No worries. I appreciate the encouraging words from you though. I know I can be very long-winded. Haha! You take care, too! =)

@Wiffy: I doubt I will ... Haha! Hard to survive with a bakery/pastry shop nowadays. Too many competitors! I'd rather work as something else to support myself. LOL! Thanks for the encouraging words! I hope so because I really love the art. =)

@Angie: You're always so supportive! Thank you! I just realized I have a passion for blogging. Haha! Never thought I'd become a blogger. Yea, perfect breakfast item! I'll take care, hopefully. Need to fix my achy tooth soon.

wendyywy @ Table for 2..... or more said...

Toothache?
Eat too much sweet stuff lor. Always say you have sweet tooth, now sakit gigi. Hahaha.

Better take care of the pink eye, you really would want to make it to Spore.

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

@Bee Bee: Thank you for your kind concern. I will. But now, from eye on to tooth ... Have to fix this damn achy tooth soon. *Sigh* Double whammy, man ... Oh, I'll take it as a compliment! Still, I'm well aware that I can be VERY long-winded. Haha! I think for this time, it's the recipes that are lengthy. LOL! Need to be detailed. Haha! Yeap, American classic! But I always wonder was it the Swedes who brought the buns to America. Can't wait to see yours! We have so much American experience to share about ... LOL! Hope to see you soon too! Will shoot you an email soon probably.

@HHB: Haha! Great minds think alike! Glad to know that you gave tangzhong method a go. You definitely can quote me, providing that you gimme the credit due of course. =P Well, all the info didn't come to me overnight too. I picked the pieces up as time goes by and as I learn along. So, it's an accumulation. Sometimes, being detailed can be very long-winded too, I know. LOL! I really try to keep my post concisely short by saying what I wanna say without being repetitive. Hard to be wordless/short. Oh, I'm SORRY! Actually, I did receive it. But then, before I fell ill end of this week, I'd been too tired and overwhelmed with work. I read it and your words made me smile. =) Hey, you deserve it! You've been one of those who inspired me into doing what I'm doing today! That's why so many people keep going back to your blog for more! That's what I call the HHB power! =) I'll get back to your email once I feel settled down. Promised!

@Shirley: ROTFL! Yeap, that's THE long-winded Pei-Lin. Haha! Makes me a good candidate for a granny position. I dunno why, when it comes to talking, I'm not quite the same. I can be pretty quiet (wordless). I can talk if I find there's chemistry with the person I'm talking to. Hard to say ... We'll see how it goes when I see you guys. It's gonna a test of patience, on my IQ and EQ ... Tough, man! LOL! I get what you mean. But you've come to me as a really capable and independent woman. I admire these qualities of yours. =) Thank you for the kind words. I'll try to keep myself sane. LOL!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

@Ju: You haven't met me. How would you know if I'm adorable!? I can be the opposite though. LOL! Nah, you're just being humble ... Well, you performed with flying colors because you're talented! It's that simple! ;) That's why we all are admiring your work.

@SSB: I hope so. Seems less pinkish, hopefully it's for good. No joking ... because it's really no fun, man! Well, do keep me updated on your tangzhong bread making. LOL! I hope my LCB dream can be realized before I become a granny. LOL! Btw, sorry for being super long-winded!

@Susan: Thank you so much for dropping by! You've made my day! I love having cinnabons for breakfast, too! Definitely unbeatable! An American classic! =) Thanks for bringing me back to America.

@Wendy: Gigi sakit isn't fun lor! Aiya, you also got sweet tooth what ... just that our tolerance level for sugar differs only nia ... Maybe my tooth is SWEETER than yours since I can take macarons. LOL! Tak baik lar ... Nanti plan saya tak jadi. Habis! Sekarang bukan "mata bermerah jambu saja, gigi pun sakit." Aduhai ... Kasihanya ... Duit saya dah habis pun ...

Su-yin said...

Did you change your blog layout? Or am I imagining things... hmmm.

I can totally relate to point #3, I take AGES to grocery shop because I wander around the aisles happily looking at everything that's on offer. In fact I find it highly relaxing! I always have to shop with a basket instead of a trolley though (as I won't be able to carry all the shopping bags if I got carried away and bought a whole trolley of stuff, lol).

edith said...

Hi Pei Lin,

Hope you are feeling better now.

It is also nice to know alittle more of our fellow blogger.

I can fully understand how tough it is to balance work and blog. That is why I kudos all of you who is doing it so well. Nice write up + awesome food styling and photography.

You take care and see ya real soon.

qinyi said...

Hello Pei-Lin!
You've changed your blog design!

Your cinnamon rolls look like the ones from the bakery. I love pecan nuts and baked goods with cinnamon in them so I'll definitely have to try out your recipe one day! Maybe I'll sprinkle some chopped pecan nuts on top of the cinnamon rolls before drizzling the glaze!

p.s. I'm flying off to Ghana for a 4 week exchange today. :)

pigpigscorner said...

Hope you are feeling better! I'm an indecisive shopper too! For me, I'd just stand there and read all the labels. I don't even know what I'm looking for but I just read until I my mood tells me which one I want.

Jo said...

Hi Pei-Lin, I can only continualy shake my head as I read your post ... another long one to live up to your high standards . haha! Anyway I love you for it. Stay the same ok. BTW I too dream of Paris, all the french pastry shops, do a stint at pastry chef school, etc. If I was much younger I would probably pursue that dream! But then again a 60 year pastry chef student might not sound so bad after all. Have a great week ahead.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Pei Lin,
Hope you are feeling better now! I'm still feeling not very well and laying on the bed most of the time. I like your cinnamon bread, simply because I like the taste of cinnamon. I can't bake and cook anything recently and really hope have a few piece of your bread :)

faithy, the baker said...

Yummy cinnamon rolls! I love cinnamon anything too!

I think you should go for your Le cordon blu..(i hope i spelt it right..hahaha) like now, why wait till retirement? The younger the better to pursue your dreams, cos more energy imo. If that is your passion, go for it. Mine i know it's just a hobby and i don't know when my 'hong' will fade.. hahaha..

Food For Tots said...

Hahaha! Now I get to know 10 more things about you. You are really a healthy person. I ate a lot of instant noodles before I became a mom. That's the problem with staying alone and working with tight schedule. I love bread too and hope I can bake as frequent (and skillful)as you. ;)

Chow and Chatter said...

great cinnamon rolls hope you get to visit France one day so sorry its been so long since I visited

Rebecca

Jess @ Bakericious said...

Hi Pei Lin, I hope by now you have recovered. I am sorry for the late regards cos having headache since last Thur so didnt do any blogging since then. You are the 1st one that I am posting the msg, even b4 posting at my blog, touching or not :P.

Thanks for writting details about yourself that we got to know you better :). You are such a healthy gal, all whole wheat, hope I am able be like u :P And I am not rice person so I can live without rice for many days hehehe...

And thanks for the details instructions of making bread and rolls, definately useful for me since I am sucks in making bread too!

Dun give up blogging, many of us enjoying reading your blog though sometimes a bit lengthy hahaha....

Lastly, you are welcomed and you deserved all the awards!

I need to go get ready for myself and my princess for work and school. Take care ya and see u soon ^0^

Quinn said...

Pei Lin,could it be conjunctivitis??? What did the doc says? The other day when we were chatting,I still didn't have the time to catch up with blogs yet but now I understand the pink eye.

Talk about awards, I just thanked and honoured the exact same awards like you too to people that gave it to me. I am such a arse sometimes, I don't know why it took me this long really!

The only thing that makes us alike is really the fact that I also have a habit of taking and outting back things on shelves. It's not a money issue, it's my habit of simply wanting to carry the whole shop back with me!!!! I just couldn't choose!!!!

The bread looks and probably smell amazing with cinnamon, soft and fluffy from the TangZhong, just my kind of bread!

Bonnie Williams said...

Your cinnamon bread and rolls look very yummy! Sorry you have had pink eye. That is not fun. ......Concha is here and she helped me make homemade noodles for our lasagna tonight. It smells good, but so far haven't had a taste. We used corn and wheat flour in them. We are eating zucchini and edible pod peas out of the garden now. I think I am stopping the picking raspberries. I think I must have picked 15 gallons at least. They are all in the freezer and not one batch of jam! :( Of course, I could thaw some and do it later! A fun post as usual! Love to you!

Christine@Christine's Recipes said...

Pei Lin,
We can talk in Cantonese if we meet up then. :)
Up to now, the method of making soft bread that I love the most is also 湯種法. I find it's very reliable with satisfied results.

tigerfish said...

Hope you are better now. At certain points, we are similar. I think I write better than I speak...in English. But for Mandarin, it is the other way round :O

Piggy said...

heehee... I think we have a few things in common. My BM sucks too, and I don't like Chinese yellow noodle. I also dream of going to Le Cordon Bleu, let's enrol together when we're in our 60's. LOL!

Thanks for your kind compliments, appreciate it. :-) As for the blondies, I used toffee candies that I got here in Taipei, but I can't remember the brand though.

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I love the photo of the cinnamon powder and how you describe its flavour/scent as warm and woody

Anonymous said...

Dear Pei Lin,

It was the Pilgrim who brought along with them bread recipes to the New World. Pennsylvanian Dutch brought us doughnuts. I am not quite sure if the Swedes have any early contribution to our bread history.

Hope that helps.

Reese

Related Posts with Thumbnails