January 15, 2012

Long Overdue

Holy moly. We’re already at the FIFTEENTH day of a brand new year?! Where was I over the last 28 days?

Hi. A happy 2012 to you.

I’ve been slogging away to meet deadlines at work. Plus, I was down with migraine and a cold about a week ago. But this blog has been a part of my life for almost THREE(!!) years. All that makes it even harder to let go of writing and blogging.

Now I’m sneaking in a little time to write about something long overdue. Finally. Phew.

During my absence, I hope the holidays had treated you well: weeks of shopping and planning, hours of cooking and baking, fabulous company of family and friends, back-to-back feasting on the yummiest food.

As for me, the holidays had been lovely.

On Christmas Eve, my family had a three-course dinner at a three-star hotel nearby; and even though the food was horrible, I particularly enjoyed the family time spent together. Then, on Christmas Day, before heading over to my friends Gary and Veronica’s home for dinner, I was busy in the kitchen, assembling the humongous peanut-butter torte I’d planned to bring over to the dinner.

Peanut-Butter Torte

Tagging along to the dinner was Kenelm, my special him. He didn’t pop out of nowhere, I swear. It may puzzle you now, thanks to my infrequency in blogging, but I hope my future posts will gradually clear the confusion up in you.

Christmas Dinner at Veron and Gary's
Photo courtesy of Veronica.

What I miss about the Christmas dinner (and I’m sure Kenelm has the same thought, too) is the incredible, generous first-class food spread that Gary had planned and prepared for days, with help from Veronica. Kenelm and I had helpings of the good food; he couldn’t stop praising Gary’s impressive culinary skills.

food2
food1
Photos courtesy of Veronica.

On top of that, I also miss the company of family friends, some of whom I’d not even met beforehand. Kenelm, on the other hand, except for learning about Veronica and Gary through our everyday conversations, had never met them prior to that evening. All of us just clicked, somehow, amazingly, and broke into conversations and laughter. At one point, while Veronica and her sisters-in-law were reminiscing about their Bangkok trip from a few years back, they goofed about each other, and I laughed and panted and smacked on the table. I had lost possession of myself. Excuse me.

Christmas Dinner With Family Friends, at Veron and Gary's
Photo courtesy of Veronica.

On our way home, Kenelm and I had a little conversation.

Kenelm: I enjoyed being in their company. I like that they are a bunch of really friendly, family-oriented folks. And the food was excellent.

Me: Same here. That’s why I love my friends and treasure the friendships. What connects us even more is our interest of cooking and baking and enjoying good, homemade food.

Gary and Veronica, thank you for everything. You helped make Kenelm’s and my last Christmas memorable.


***


Dear Reader, if you’re still following my blog, I’d like to thank you for that and for being understanding and patient during my absence. Irregularity in blogging is definitely a turn-off, and if overused, working for long hours becomes a lousy put-off.

But with Chinese New Year coming (gasped — which is about a week from now!!), apart from my day job as a writer for a communications consultancy, I’m already getting busier with festive baking and cooking. Despite the rave review, now I’m not quite ready with sharing the peanut-butter torte recipe with you due to some discouraging experience with it. Perhaps when the time is right, I’ll put it up here.

Chocolate-Chip Cookies for Chinese New Year

Over the next few days, though, before Chinese New Year, I’ll try to post the recipe up for a festive cookie I’ve been churning out in the kitchen. I don’t want to leave you with a blank promise, but I’ll try.

In the meantime, may you have a fabulous week ahead!

10 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Even though you've not updated your blog, I've not forgotten about you. Here's wishing you a happy new year! Hope to hear from you soon!

qinyi said...

ahh... i must missed out on some important updates! *winks* do fill me in soon, k! :):):)

Pei-Lin said...

@Jane: Hey hey! Thank you for not forgetting me. Ha ha! I feel so flattered now. Thank you for the well wishes. A happy 2012 to you, too. I'll drop by yours to say soon, when time allows. =)

@Qin Yi: HELLO!! I was puzzled by your first line, but I realized you have never missed out anything from me. Nor did I write anything really exciting lately here. You were being naughty. Ha ha! I can sense that you're coming back home to Seremban soon for Chinese New Year soon. Any chance of dropping by KL for a quick visit at my place? We have LOTS to catch up! Gonna shoot you an email soon. Okay?

homeladychef said...

Wow! Happy gathering with 'someone' indeed! ;) love to see smiles and food here! EnjOy the coming CNY!

GQ said...

So far, I have definitely understood why u said u seldom had dinner in the foodstore--more than a gourmet��
Chinese New Year is coming,pls allow my speaking in Chinese: 閤家安康,快乐常伴!!!

Pei-Lin said...

Hey, Pei Pei! How's life with you and your family? I admit it's been a while since we talked. *Sigh* I'll drop you a message again. I'm sorry for being quiet lately. Too tired. Okay, I'll definitely enjoy myself this coming Chinese New Year with family and friends. And I hope you will, too! *Hugs*

Hello, GQ! Thank you for dropping by to say hi. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I very much prefer homemade food. Ha ha ha! Am I more than a gourmet? Ha ha ha! Of course, we all can speak in Chinese -- that is, if we can and want to. Ha ha! Oh, I'd also love to wish you 新年快樂, 萬事如意! =D

daphne said...

Yay! Welcome back and no fear, you have the rest of the year to post ;)

babe_kl said...

Xin Nian Kuai Le from my family to yours... May the year of the dragon bring you much happiness, prosperity and good health!

Quay Po Cooks said...

I can't believe I missed this post:D Hey see your tweets and replied one of them. No response from you? Did you receive it? Anyway, good to know you enjoyed your CNY. Hugs.

Pei-Lin said...

Thank you, all, for the encouraging words. I hope you have been enjoying the festive season with your loved ones ... Well, it's coming to an end soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails